-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the July 15, 2004
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

MARLON BRANDO: A GREAT ACTOR WHO STOOD AGAINST RACISM

By Monica Moorehead

A number of well-known actors have come under media and government
attacks because of their progressive stances against war and racism.
They include Danny Glover, Susan Sarandon, Woody Harrelson, Martin Sheen
and Sean Penn.

Marlon Brando, who died July 1 at age 80, was the target of similar
attacks more than a generation ago. In fact, he should be forever
memorialized for his passionate concern for social justice as much as
for taking method acting to unprecedented heights.

Many of Brando's roles and films did not reflect what bourgeois critics
might call his liberal politics.

He appeared in a reactionary, anti-union movie, "On the Waterfront."
Some of the films he starred in were insensitive to women. Not a Latin@,
he nevertheless portrayed the legendary Mexican revolutionary Emiliano
Zapata in the 1952 film "Viva Zapata," which would understandably
outrage the Latin@ community and their supporters. As an activist, he
made the unfortunate choice of supporting the Zionist state of Israel,
not the Palestinians.

But he also appeared in "Quemada" or "Burn," a progressive, anti-slavery
movie.

Despite these contradictions, and more, Brando was considered a rebel on
and off the screen. The press labeled him "eccentric," mainly for being
anti-Hollywood and anti-establishment. But he didn't seem to care. He
didn't believe in competition among actors for awards. He admitted that
acting for him was a vehicle for making a living, for making a lot of
money.

In his 1994 autobiography, "Brando--Songs My Mother Taught Me," he
explains: "Except for moral and political issues that aroused in me a
desire to speak out, I have done my utmost throughout my life, for the
sake of my children and myself, to remain silent. ... But now, in my
70th year, I have decided to tell the story of my life ... so that my
children can separate the truth from the myths that others have created
about me, as myths are created about everyone swept up in the turbulent
and distorting maelstrom of celebrity in our culture."

IMPACT OF CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT

Brando was schooled as an adolescent in a military academy, but came out
against the U.S. war in Vietnam. In his autobiography, he reflects about
the civil-rights movement's great influence on his life. A number of
actors, including Brando, participated in the 1965 Selma to Montgomery,
Ala., march and attended the historic 1963 March on Washington where Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. made his famous "I Have a Dream" remarks.

At a civil-rights march in Torrance, Calif., in 1963, Brando was
verbally singled out by racists.

There were not too many celebrities who supported the Black Panther
Party, but Brando was one of the most prominent, along with composer and
conductor Leonard Bernstein. Brando wrote about his 1968 meeting with
Panther leaders Kathleen Cleaver and Eldridge Cleaver and 17-year-old
Bobby Hutton, the first Panther murdered by Oakland police. Brando
attended Hutton's funeral.

"Those Panthers made me realize how protected my life had been as a
white person, and how, despite a lifetime of searching, curiosity and
empathy, I would never understand what it was like to be Black," he
wrote. Brando, along with actor Sean Penn, openly supported Panther
Geronimo Ji Jaga (aka Pratt), who was imprisoned for 27 years, before
his release in 1997.

For many years, Brando denounced the U.S. government for its racist
treatment of Indigenous peoples. A longtime friend of Brando's,
columnist James Bacon, remarked on CNN's "Larry King Live" on July 2
that Brando would slowly rewind John Wayne's reactionary films to see
Native people win the battles against the Cavalry.

In 1973, Brando refused to attend the Academy Awards ceremony to accept
his second Oscar in protest of Hollywood's racist portrayal of Native
peoples.

His March 30 speech for that occasion reads in part, "For 200 years we
have said to the Indian people who are fighting for their land, their
life, their families and their right to be free: 'Lay down your arms, my
friends, and then we will remain together. Only if you lay down your
arms, my friends, can we then talk of peace and come to an agreement
which will be good for you.'

"When they laid down their arms, we murdered them. ... We cheated them
out of their lands. We starved them into signing fraudulent agreements
that we called treaties which we never kept.

"It's hard enough for children to grow up in this world. When Indian
children watch television, and they watch films, and when they see their
race depicted as they are in films, their minds become injured in ways
we can never know."

In 1992, Brando asked that his name be removed from the credits of the
movie "Christopher Columbus--The Discovery" because the final movie
version did not expose the genocide of the Indigenous peoples. (MSNBC)

Over 40 years ago, Brando supported the struggle led by the Puyallup
Native nation in Washington state for fishing rights.

Upon hearing of Brando's death, SuZan Satiacum, whose late husband Chief
Bob Satiacum was arrested along with Brando for defending these rights,
commented: "Marlon Brando was the first person of non-color to step
forward to help us. Marlon Brando was ahead of his time. ... We named
the place where he was arrested 'Brando's Landing.' And it's still that
name yet." (Seattle Post-Intelligencer Reporter, July 3)

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not
allowed. For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY,
NY 10011; via e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe wwnews-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the
voice of resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)