Hi John,

I'm looking for a way to handle (possibly) invalid UTF-8 characters
and seem to be missing wxString::From8BitData() and
wxString::To8BitData() methods (according to this page:
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_unicode.html#overview_unicode_supportout).

What I am trying to do is to load a file into wxSTC (Scintilla
component). I know that Scintilla can deal with invalid UTF-8
characters as SciTE displays them as nice inverted rounded boxes with
hex codes inside, but I can't get the same effect with wxSTC. If I try
to load UTF-8 file with characters in, for example, 1252 encoding, the
content fails to load into wxSTC (it shows as empty).

You can see this effect by running editor.wx.lua example. Just try to
load a file that has \232 or \226 character and the content is going
to be empty.

What's interesting is that the content is loaded from a file just
fine, so it seems like at least that part is handled correctly, but
the text is not loaded into wxSTC until I find and fix invalid UTF-8
characters (I use SetText method, but I've tried others with the same
result). I thought that using From8BitData() may help me to pass all
those characters intact to Scintilla, which will be able to display
them, but I can't test as From8BitData() is not exposed in wxlua.

I'm open to other ideas to make it work...

Paul.