On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 2:21 PM Tristan Miller
<psychon...@nothingisreal.com> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 22:43:07 +0100, Stefan Baur
> <x2go-m...@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> > Like I said, run X2GoClient in Published Application Mode, and make
> > it a habit to *always* use the "critical"/interconnected Apps via
> > X2Go, no matter if you're coming from remote or not.  You can run
> > Browser and Mail Client remotely, then suspend, then resume them
> > locally (using the X2Go connection to 127.0.0.1/::1), and they'll
> > always behave like a local application.
>
> The problem with this approach is that these days a web browser is
> interconnected to just about everything.  There's probably half a dozen
> applications I regularly use that sometimes or often present me with
> hyperlinks that open in an external web browser.  So if I'm going to run
> my web browser in X2Go, then I have to run almost everything else in
> X2Go. Which brings me to your next point...
>
> > Or, if you want/need a full remote desktop, set your local machine's
> > desktop to a very minimal one, say, OpenBox spawning X2GoClient in
> > fullscreen, then use X2GoClient with the connection to localhost to
> > access your "real" desktop environment (MATE, XFCE, LXDE, whatever).
>
> I don't want or need a full desktop as I prefer to run remote
> applications seamlessly on the client desktop.  I'm often copying and
> pasting between remote and local applications, moving them between
> different screens and virtual desktops, etc.  Having all the remote
> applications displayed in one window will unreasonably constrain my
> workflows.

That is exactly the reason why I am working with rootless (=seamless)
nx connections.

Please don't get us wrong: we appreciate anyone using x2go. We just
want to help. Having to kill a session is something we want to avoid,
that's why we have x2go!

> But even if this weren't a concern of mine, I still couldn't do this
> because there are so many applications I run that don't run very well,
> or at all, under X2Go. Last I checked, Konsole ran terribly slowly, and
> Gnome-Terminal didn't run at all. Emacs crashes regularly unless I use
> an obscure and complicated workaround. (I've since automated this, but
> I don't relish the thought of having to go through all that
> troubleshooting again for some future misbehaving application.)
> KMyMoney crashes as soon as it's launched due to some GLX compatibility
> issue.

Some tips:
Konsole: set QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native and switch to Xlib rendering in
KDE. I am using it daily this way!
Gnome-Terminal: I am not using this, so probably connected to GLX
emacs: I am not aware of any crashing issues althought I am using it
daily. Can you provide any more details?
GLX: are you aware of this workaround?:
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:glx-xlib-workaround

Uli