Adding new compression is an interesting field, indeed

The underlying nx is prepared structured in a way that make adding
additional image compression algorithms quite simple. However, so far
we have not implemented any other compression beyond the ones
NoMachine already had, making the code very compatible.

On the other hand I am not sure how much we could gain from that. Are
10-20% smaller images worth it? Is that number reasonable at all?
Images are cached and only transferred once, if possible. So I guess
we should first do some measurements to explore the potential.

Do you have any case where a better image compression could help significantly?

Uli