On Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Stefan Baur wrote:

What happens if you set your login shell to bash, just to test?
Does it throw the same error or does it go away?

-Stefan

     It throws exactly the same error:

     Connection failed. stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for
     device stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

     This error shows in a pop-up.

     I do not have an stty in my .profile, .kshrc, or .bashrc.

     It does not throw this error if I just ssh to the machine.  I
previously
has OpenSuse 13.2 on this machine and did not get this error.

Did you check /etc/bash.bashrc, and whatever system-wide files belong to
the group of "usual suspects" as well?

-Stefan

     I did this:

        find /etc -type f -exec grep stty {} /dev/null \;

     And examined each file that resulted.  All of them were wrapped and
checked for either EMACS shell mode or SSH_TTY, neither of these environmental
variables are set in my environment.