Am 09.11.19 um 23:39 schrieb Bernhard Lindner:
> I would like to use x2go server and client on some KDE5 systems (Kubuntu
> 18.04 and KDE
> Neon 18.04).
>
> I tried to find information about installing x2go server on these systems but
> the only
> thing I found is that it used to work for KDE4 and that there are rumors that
> it maybe
> works with KDE5.

Well, that's pretty much still the case.  Rumor has it that it works on
Debian Buster, but on Ubuntu, things don't look good (we just received a
report of it not working in a neighboring thread on this list).

> Well, I am not a Linux expert. Before crashing my system or failing
> completely, please
> tell me, does x2go server work on KDE5 (Neon or Kubuntu)? If yes, what do I
> need to do to
> install it?

You are not going to crash it, but you are likely to end up with a black
screen, rather than a working X2Go session.
Things look better on Debian Buster, from what we hear. So if switching
the server distribution to Debian is an option for you, it might be
worth a try.

Another option: There's a beta version of X2GoServer that you could
install, and you'd also need the corresponding beta version of
X2GoClient on your Client.  This isn't for the faint of heart, so let me
know if you want to continue down that route.  This new feature is
called KDrive.

And of course, you should ask yourself:
Do I really need a full remote desktop, or would it be good enough for
me to be able to start remote applications in your local desktop?

If running remote applications is fine, then I would suggest you change
the following settings in X2GoClient:

Click "Options" in the menu bar, then "Settings".
The first tab, "General", should have all the options you need.
Check the "Display Icon in System Tray" box, this un-greys the four
checkboxes below it, check all of them as well, click "OK".

Then, go to the session configuration, and change the session type from
KDE to "Published Applications".

After that, once X2GoClient is running and has an active session,
published apps can be accessed by right-clicking the tray icon and
selecting the name of the session.  A left click un-hides the X2GoClient
window.

> I want the server to server to start a new desktop session if needed or use
> an existing
> desktop session if the specified user is already logged in. Is this possible
> out of the
> box or do I need to take additional steps?

Well, X2Go was not meant as a remote support tool, so while it does
incorporate some rudimentary features for that, this mode of operation
isn't exactly speedy.
Detecting a running X2Go session, suspending it remotely, and then
attaching to it is easy, and brings you native X2Go speed.
Same goes for starting an X2Go session, suspending it from the client
you were using, then resuming the suspended session at any later time
from a different, or the same client.

Turning a local desktop session into a remote desktop session is a bit
hairy.  It will not detach from the local console, so keyboard, mouse,
and screen on the server side will be active (i.e. other people could
snoop on what you're doing, when they can look at the server's screen,
or use the keyboard/mouse to do nasty things while you're not looking).
Also, as the remote screen will need to mirror everything, it is way
slower than a native X2Go session - more like VNC.
Again, this is a rudimentary remote support feature, not a "take my
local desktop and turn it into a remote session".

If you want a desktop session that you can use both locally and remote,
I would suggest installing a minimal desktop environment alongside the
one you intend to use.  Say, OpenBox with Tint2 as taskbar.  When
logging in locally, use this minimal DE, then start X2GoClient from it,
and in X2GoClient, connect to localhost with the session type you want.
That way, you get a native X2Go session with the desktop environment of
your choice that you can suspend and resume from remote.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)