Am 11.11.19 um 14:13 schrieb Bernhard Lindner:

>> Well, that's pretty much still the case.  Rumor has it that it works on
>> Debian Buster, but on Ubuntu, things don't look good (we just received a
>> report of it not working in a neighboring thread on this list).
>
> Ok, I see.
>
> Are there any plans about fixing this soon (other than KDrive)?

Probably not. All those eye-candy DEs (Animations, 3D effects, ...)
aren't really good for remote use, anyway, as long as you're using
X2Go/NX/X.
So it would probably take a diehard KDE fan with coding skills or a
paying customer to change that situation.

Also, since it works in Debian Buster, there's a good chance it's
nothing we broke/could fix, but it's something inside KDE itself (as
Ubuntu is based on Debian, but might ship different versions of the
packages - depending on which one has the newer packages, it either
broke or got fixed with a newer release).

> I am afraid that's not possible. I am helping building a new work group at
> our university
> and I need a software to do remote work and to provide shared desktop support
> for the non-
> IT guys. We have already adjusted to Neon.
>
>> Another option: There's a beta version of X2GoServer that you could
>> install, and you'd also need the corresponding beta version of
>> X2GoClient on your Client.  This isn't for the faint of heart, so let me
>> know if you want to continue down that route.  This new feature is
>> called KDrive.
>
> I just read about it. Sounds very interesting. However since I need it for
> production
> systems, I am not sure if is a good way. Do you think it is mature enough to
> be used in a
> productive environment without a a lot of hassle? I need most of the time to
> support
> scientific work and students so I can't invest much time in a "secondary"
> tooling, I hope
> you understand that.

My understanding is that one company already uses KDrive in production,
however, they are not using KDE but a differend DE.  Gnome3, I think.
So feel free to try it, but your mileage may vary.

>> Do I really need a full remote desktop, or would it be good enough for
>> me to be able to start remote applications in your local desktop?
>
> I don't know. I have never worked that way. I do not know the pro and cons.
> Maybe I will
> give it a try.

If it's for remote work, rather than for remote support, it is
absolutely worth a try.  It's also less resource-intensive on the
server, as there is no need to load a full DE instance into memory.

> Currently I can't see a good alterntive. Especially if I also want to use it
> with Windows
> systems as well. VNC seems to be a solution too but the reactivity/speed is a
> pain. I
> think I can't use it all day long.
> I alos can't use a commercial application since we simply do not have enough
> money to
> afford one (at least for the moment).
>
>> Turning a local desktop session into a remote desktop session is a bit
>> hairy.  It will not detach from the local console, so keyboard, mouse,
>> and screen on the server side will be active (i.e. other people could
>> snoop on what you're doing, when they can look at the server's screen,
>> or use the keyboard/mouse to do nasty things while you're not looking).
>> Also, as the remote screen will need to mirror everything, it is way
>> slower than a native X2Go session - more like VNC.
>
> Well, for a remote support session this would be totally ok!

Again, be warned that the speed will be comparable to VNC, so if you're
suffering with VNC for remote support, X2Go will not really be an
improvement - it simply wasn't made for that.

Also, using a Windows client to do remote support with X2Go is still
pretty buggy.  And of course, the server side must be Linux - you cannot
"remote in" to a Windows machine.  You will have to use VNC or one of
the commercial alternatives for that. (By the way, I hear AnyDesk's
licensing/pricing model is a lot less complicated and more sane than
TeamViewer's, so if you're heavy into remote support use, you might want
to check them out - maybe your budget is at least big enough for an
AnyDesk license, if you can't afford TeamViewer.  On an exactly 0 EUR
budget, I guess you will be stuck with VNC for Windows support.)

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)