Well I'm very confused now, I thought I could see a pattern but I
can't.  I'll report what I have discovered so far though.

I'm running x2gclient 4.1.2.2 (as installed from the Ubuntu
repositories) on my xubuntu 20.10 laptop.  I'm running the server on my
xubuntu 20.10 desktop machine, again just as installed from the Ubuntu
repositories:-
    x2goserver: 4.1.0.3
    x2goserver-common: 4.1.0.3
    x2goserver-extensions: 4.1.0.3
    x2goserver-fmbindings: 4.1.0.3
    x2goserver-printing: 4.1.0.3
    x2goserver-x2goagent: 3.5.99.24
    x2goserver-xsession: 4.1.0.3

I have been trying a mix of three types of session, as follows (with
results):-

1 - A small Python GUI program as a 'Single Application', this always
runs without any problem at all, it just works every time.

2 - An XFCE session, this works every time and doesn't cause any major
issues but it does occasionally pop-up windows in the server session
as follows:-

    A window saying "Authentication is required to create a colour
    profile" and I have to enter my sudo user password.

    After the above pop-up I sometimes get a second one saying
    "Authentication is required to operate a colour managed device"

The above two pop-ups only appear occasionally, usually the XFCE
session just starts up and runs normally.  Once I've entered my sudo
password in response the session runs OK.

3 - A Digikam session as a 'Single Application', this does work
sometimes but more often it appears to start OK, then xfwm4 on the
*client* crashes and the Digikam session disappears even though it is
still running on the desktop machine.  I can't see any consistent
reason for when it does work or when it doesn't work.  Digikam is
running from a big Appimage.

Running digikam in an XFCE session running in x2go works perfectly, or
at least I've not managed to crash it ever.  It's only when run as a
'Single Application' that it fails.

I guess I can just run Digikam in an XFCE session but I'd like to be
able to just run Digikam.  It's frustrating that it sometimes works
but I can't see what is needed for it to work.

As I said elsewhere I've run memtest on the desktop machine for two
whole passes and it showed no errors.

I'm happy to add debug flags to either end to see if it's possible to
diagnose this.

--
Chris Green