I don’t think changing target names every 2-3 years is a big workload. I know
it’s not the most ideal case, but this is how things are done in Debian.

On the other side, we can forget things, it’s not a big problem in my eyes.
Also, updating everything correctly while targeting “suites” in Debian is nice.
Stable is released? Nice. Will move everything with a single apt-get.

I personally use “suites” rather than codenames for almost two decades now, and
it’s a much nicer experience.

Cheers,

H.