If anyone is interested there is an updated reference implementation of the XML:DB API available from CVS. The reference implementation is a very simple file system based XML data store. It still needs work, especially in the documentation area (there isn't any) but is useful to help with the development of XML:DB API drivers in Java. There is also a test suite that can be used to help with driver development as well. The ref impl is currently Core Level 1 with BinaryResource and CollectionManagementService support as well.

The tests currently pass for the reference impl and dbXML, and indeed they will interoperate in a simple application that I have. Now this isn't a huge deal since I wrote both implementations, so they had better interoperate, but we have to start somewhere. The eXist project also has an implementation of the API but it will not pass the tests right now. This is actually good though, because it's made a lot of problem areas clear. The test suite is also a long, long way from complete, but it is a good start and is very handy for testing drivers.

You can get the ref impl from CVS by checking out xmldb/xapi/src.

I've also made a tar file available, but it shouldn't be considered any kind of release yet. http://www.xmldatabases.org/xapi/xmldb-
ref-10282001.tar.gz

Any and all help with this thing would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, thanks to John Landers for providing some code to implement the documentID setting in XPathQueryService.

Kimbro Staken
The dbXML Project
http://www.dbxml.org