I just posted a new reference implementation that includes what I'm calling the driver software development kit. The SDK consists of a set of base classes and test cases to make developing drivers in Java much easier.
The reference impl is built on top of the base classes. This will be the first public release. It is maybe a bit skimpy on documentation, but I've been sitting on this thing for several months and I just want to get it out in the hope that it is useful to someone.

The reference impl is basically a file system based native XML database, using a very weak definition of the term database. It is a full Core Level 1 implementation which means it supports XPath queries. It also has BinaryResource and CollectionManagementService additions.

With this release it is possible to build applications that will run on both the reference impl and dbXML. It should also be possible with a little work to get them to work on eXist as well, but the eXist driver needs a little more work (as does the spec).

The reference impl is available for download from the project page. http://www.xmldb.org/xapi/index.html

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/