> > It's widely used though, simply because dbXML, eXist and
> now Xindice
> > use it. It may not be used in any big installations, but it is
> > definitely used in a whole bunch of little ones.
>
> There's also one big installation that was decorating
> java.sun.com for a
> week or so.

That's good to hear. I also saw that the XIndice mailinglist is pretty
busy, so it indeed seems to be widly ised, which is a valid argument for
not chaning to much. Though what I meant was that it wasn't exactly
widly adapted by XML DBMS implementations.

> >> When it comes to API I tend to think less is more....
> >
> > I agree.
>
> And I think Services are a great example of Less Is More.  The
> Collection interfaces do the bare minimum as far as allowing
> access to
> the underlying data store.  Services give vendors the option of
> providing more.  the wrong path would have been trying to add
> querying,
> management, and transaction capabilities to the Collection interfaces
> themselves, as it would be a bold assumption to defined methods that
> people may never be capable of implementing, or may have to
> implement in
> a completely different fashion.

Don't get me wrong. I already agree on this (though initially I had my
doubts about the CollectionManager service, but I'm conviced now).

> So maybe we add Services to
> Database as
> well, but I think you very much underestimate their value at the
> Collection level.

Adding services to a higher level is simply necessary to allow services
to operate on multiple collections (querying, transactions), and to make
bootstrapping easier (creating the first collection, or the first
transaction).

If services are available on database level then that would make it
possible to implement the API for X-Hive (without this it simply isn't)
so it would be good enough for me. Although for now I think that the
X-Hive implementation would not allow the creation of a transaction
service on collection level, but that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

So I guess i'm asking if you please could add a the getService method to
the database interface (maybe you should create an interface for this
that is extended both by the collection and the database interface :)

Kind regards,

Arno de Quaasteniet