----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Borden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: Problems With Implementing XMLDB API

> so? you also cannot store a book where SQL expects an int.

Now I'm confused.

What _good_ RDBMS API have you used that allows you to pass types that aren't
natively supported by the DB in update operations? Just to recap I'll rewrite
the query that Kimbro agreed didn't make sense that you are now advocating
should be a valid part of the API

 String xpath = "count(/movie/title='Gladiator')";

  XPathQueryService service =
     (XPathQueryService) collection.getService("XPathQueryService", "1.0");

   ResourceSet resultSet = service.query(xpath);

ResourceIterator results = resultSet.getIterator();

while (results.hasMoreResources()) {
   XPathResultResource resource =
      (XPathResultResource) results.nextResource();

 myCollection.addResource(resource);   /* THIS MAKES NO SENSE */
}

Please, explain to me why being able to do the above is a good thing.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #59
I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.