There is a request from the eXist group that we remove the final modifier=
 on=20
XMLDBException so that they could use subclasses of XMLDBException in ord=
er=20
to get clearer stacktraces. Below are some details of the conversations o=
n=20
the list:

_______________________

_______________________
> The only thing we can do is to remove the final and ask the XMLDB maili=
ng=20
> list to change it in the CVS. I don't see another possibility to improv=
e the=20
> exception handling. Does Java check the final at runtime or only at com=
pile=20
> time? If it just checks it at compile time, it would not be a problem i=
f=20
> people used an xmldb.jar from another source.
________________________

I understand that the intent is to use ErrorCodes and I guess the underla=
ying=20
reason for this has to do with IDL. Still if a certain implementation wan=
ts=20
to subclass XMLDBException for clarity I do not see how this would break =
the=20
intent of the API.=20

The proposal is to change=20
public final class XMLDBException extends Exception=20
public class XMLDBException extends Exception=20

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Per Nyfelt                                   =20