Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> ​I routinely work on tex projects in my Dropbox file area. I mean
> every day, all the time.  I've never noticed a problem with Dropbox
> mirroring my ephemeral files, even the synctex one.  I have
> moderately fast wifi at home and fast ethernet at work; it might be
> different if the bandwidth was low and slow.  The little dropbox icon
> shows that my files are updated more or less instantly.  I honestly
> have never noticed any overhead.

On a 3Mbps link, Dominik, synching (e.g.,) the Descriptive Catalogue
of Greek MSS in the Lambeth Palace Library ties up my link for hours
at a time following each compilation.  I therefore need to exclude
the generated PDF from synchronisation, and as there is no way of which
I am aware to send the PDF to anywhere other than the same location as
the (relatively trivial) auxiliary files, I send them all to a location
for which Dropbox synchronisation is inhibited.

But all of this is besides the point :  surely

        o XeTeX --output-directory=../dynamic-content foo (or foo.tex)

should compile foo.tex, not ../dynamic-content/foo.tex

** Phil.