Thank you, ShreeDevi.  I'll study what you've done with interest.

It looks, though, as if you're not taking advantage of the hyphenation
rules for Sanskrit in Latin script that are in hyph-sa.tex , but rather
hyphenating Sanskrit in Latin Script as if it were English. Is that right?

I think we need better, or more rigorous terminology for distinguishing
writing systems and languages, don't you?  In XML, I say "sa-Deva" and
"sa-Latn" to mean "Sanskrit in Devanagari" and "Sanskrit in Latin script"
respectively [ref
<http://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=language_detail&key=san>].
Maybe we could build on this terminology for what we're doing with Fontspec?

Best wishes,
Dominik