Yes, exactly. I'm using this newcommand to get devanagari with Sanskrit hyphenation:

\newcommand{\dn}[1]{\textsanskrit{\devanagarifont{#1}}}

I also use this for occasional romanized Sanskrit passages within English prose, to switch the hyphenation from English to Sanskrit and also get the italics along:

\newcommand{\romskt}[1]{\textsanskrit{\emph{#1}}}

Cheers,

Alessanro