> On 6/18/2017 4:04 AM, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> as far as I know the Devanagari fonts are either Sanskrit with all
>> conjuncts that cannot be switched off or Hindi without the Sanskrit
>> conjuncts.
>>

> Do other languages that use Devanagari, like Gujarati, use the same
> conjuncts as Hindi?

Gujarati is written in the Gujarati script. Devanagari is used in Marathi
and Nepali. There is a Nepali Linux Group, I offered them that I create
xindy rules and Steve White asked me about the conjuncts so that he could
implement the Nepali language but I got no reply from them. I have no
response from Marathi users either but I have some printed documents in
Marathi and it seems that the set of conjucts is the same as in nowadays
Hindi (Marathi does not use characters with nuktas, thus the name of the
Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra is written as प्रियंका चोपड़ा in Hindi
newspapers and as प्रियांका चोप्रा in Marathi newspapers). I have not ben
to Rajastan so I do not know whether Rajastan, Mevari, Marvari have
differences but probably not.

So the result is that Marathi is most probably a subset of Hindi hence
Language=Hindi can also be used for Marathi. Strictly Marathi font may be
unusable for Hindi because the charcters with nuktas and especially their
conjuncts and half forms need not be available in the font. I saw such a
font a few years ago but it was fixed.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz