I should add one more note. Indian languages are complex, the same word may
have two or more orthographies and all of them are correct. Even Hindi has
two forms in Devanagari, हिंदी and हिन्दी, both are found with more or less
the same frequency. There are two forms of independent A, both are in use.
The character group nna is sometimes written as a conjunct, sometimes as
half-na + na. I have a leaflet where two parts of the text are printed each
with a different font. One part contains the nna conjunct, the other part
contains half-na + na. When working on @modernhindi in the Velthuis
Devanagari system, Anshuman Pandey asked both Indian typographers and
normal people what they prefer to see. This selection is implemented in
freefont.

The somewhat extreme case can be found in the Czech-Hindi dictionary
published by the Central Hindi Directorate and available as a preview
online:
http://hindinideshalaya.nic.in/hindi/onlinebook/czechHindiDictionary.asp

Use the "Next Page" or the direct link below to navigate to th colophon
page and look how "dvitiy" is printed:
http://hindinideshalaya.nic.in/hindi/onlinebook/czechHindiDictionary.asp?currentPage=4

The result is that there are often several forms and all of them are
equally correct. We cannot say that one form is correct and another is
wrong. The implementation is thus typographer's choice. And, of course,
languages evolve, orthography evolves. You can notice that some people are
not able to pronounce Brahma properly, they pronounce Bramha and even write
it this way in Devanagari, for instance here:
http://aajtak.intoday.in/story/arti-of-lord-shiva-1-870255.html

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz