CrtScreen option was introduced in X4.20 to let the mode validation routine
for flat panel to fall back to the standard CRT routine. While it solved
some problems, it also caused quite a few nasty problems on certain panels
(especially on laptop panels). After X4.20, with better mode routines for
flat panels merged into CVS, this option was removed. About that time, a lot
of OEM cards started showing up on the market. Some of these cards have the
monitor detection problem (caused by inconsistent BIOS rules) as you've
experienced. The CrtScreen option in the older versions actually helped to
workaround this problem in some cases (as you did), although it's not
originally intended for this option. To properly solve the monitor detection
problem, a patch was put together later. Unfortunally, with time running
out, the patch was too big to be merged in for X4.30 release. This leaves
the monitor detection problem for certain OEM cards unsolved.

Hopefully we can get the proper solution for this problem into CVS in the
near future. Meanwhile you probably have to stay with the version that
worked for you.

Hui