This is more related to VNC, but the error I'm getting may have the VNC
people say its an XFree86 issue.  So I thought I'd post the question
here as well and see if any XFree86 people have any thoughts...

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------
I'm building my own Linux box from the ground up (LFS 6.2 base) and
have gotten to the point of RealVNC.  I have a compiled (or uncompiled
available) source tree for XFree86 4.6.0.  After having to patch one
small file, it compiled fine and is working with no problems.  On to
RealVNC...

Following the instructions, I've combined the RealVNC xc directory
with the XFree86 xc directory.  Applying the patch resulted in 2
chunks failing, but it appears the "patches" are already part of the
code.  Nevertheless, this is not causing the errors.

Next, I issue the 'make World >& world.log' and the first error I get is:

make[5]: Entering directory
`/usr/local/packages/currently/vnc-4_1_2-unixsrc/unix/xc/programs/Xserver/vnc/Xvnc'
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `../../Xi/stubs.c', needed by
'stubs.c'.  Stop.

There is no 'stubs.c' in the .../Xi/ directory.  There exist only two
in the 4.6.0 source tree:

./programs/xrx/plugin/stubs.c
./programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf86cfg/stubs.c

Since the 'plugin' version is virtually nothing, I attempted a hack and
symlinked the 'xf86cfg' stubs.c inside the Xi directory.  This got me
past this error (at least for this stage of compilation).  However,
the next error I get is:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so: undefined reference to `XkbLookupKeySym'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[7]: *** [xdmxconfig] Error 1

Which would lead one to think XFree86 has the error.  But if that's
the case then why didn't this error show up when compiling XFree86
_without_ VNC?

Help?

David A. Gershman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman