On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, rm wrote:

> On 2010-08-30 05:55, rm wrote:
> > A self-compiled version (xmail-1.27.tar.gz) doesn't start either.
> > It just says "Starting XMail Server:" and hangs there :-(
> > What could be the reason?
>
> In /var/log/syslog the following error is reported:
>
> Aug 30 05:44:16 s1 XMail[5142]: Failed to create for eventfd

You're in a situation where libc has the include file, but eventfd is not
implemented.
Remove the "-DHAS_EVENTFD" string from Makefile.lnx and rebuild.
Unless changes have been made to the Debian package, I would go ahead and
proceed with manual setup.
Other than that, it should work just fine (be sure the ports that XMail
will bind to for its services, are not used by other deamons).
The xmailserver.org mailing lists run over Debian just fine.