On Sun, 24 Jul 2011, Ivo Smits wrote:

> Hello Davide,

Hi!

> Sometimes my POP3 client (Mozilla Thunderbird) does no longer receive new
> messages from my XMail server. Some investigation shows that when the client
> attempts to retrieve (RETR) a particular e-mail, and XMail sends the message,
> the end-of-message marker is NOT on a line by itself, but rather added onto
> the last line of the message. It appears that the spool file for this
> particular message does also not have a newline at the end of the file, while
> other messages do. I think that this might be related.
>
> I am not sure why sometimes such an e-mail has no newline at the end of the
> file. This particular e-mail was SPAM, and was modified by SpamAssassin (with
> some helper script to deal with the XMail header). This might have stripped
> off the newline.
>
> However, even if the problem was caused by my antispam solution, I think that
> a crippled spool file should not break the POP3 session. Would it make sense
> to you to add a check to XMail to detect missing newlines (as well as
> incorrect end-of-message markers) while sending a message via POP3 (or SMTP)?

This is certainly a corruption induced by mail handlers poking within the
XMail internal spool files.
SPAM messages are just like every other message, and they get properly
terminated by newlines.
A missing newline is no different from any other form of corruption,
which, whatever handlers are piled up directly poking into the XMail
internal spool, are not supposed to generate.
A fix in whatever thing causing the issue is more likely a better place,
isn't it?