Hi Bart & All,

Bart Mortelmans via xmail wrote on 05/16/2015 10:27 PM:
I have been using XMail for what must have been almost 15 years. I still
prefer XMail for anything that does not need IMAP.

I have no experience yet with Dovecot, but what does it mean when
they say "If you already have XMail Setup and just want to add in IMAP
support See : dovecot-setup.html"  on this webpage:
http://xmail.nomadcf.com/xmail-dovecot

I made some small changes to the code. If anybody would be willing to pick
up XMail and start development again, I hope that these changes can also
get into the new version. If you need more details, let me know!

Thx, since Davide is not reachable for a very long time now (3+ yrs?),
I hereby accounce my general interest in bugfixing and adding new
features (patches and wishes of users) into the current 1.27 branch,
if time permits. I'll also setup an svn repository.

The only problem is: at this time I can't support any other OS beyond Linux.

I will brand the new version something like "v1.27.n.linux"
where "n" is a counter.

- Change the default error message for a failed pre-date or post-data
filter to code 451 (by default this would otherwise be 554 which means
there won’t be an other attempt). For me 451 makes much more sense.

Can you explain how this is meant?
Is it the return code of the filter program like discussed here? :
http://xmailforum.marketmix.com/index.php?showtopic=3362

- Added basic support for LMTP. That way I can have XMail deliver mails to
dovecot directly. For this, I just had to add the LHLO message next to the
HELO and EHLO. This works for me, as with my configuration there shouldn’t
be any event in which XMail tries to deliver one e-mail to multiple
recipients via LTMP. I’m not sure if there might be other configurations
for which more work would be needed for LMTP to work.

This sounds not trivial :-) I must admit I have no experience yet with LMTP,
but I saw wikipedia has a page about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2033

- Made XMail log a line to SMAIL log in case of delivery failure (posted
details on this in an e-mail to this mailing list very recently).

Yeah, I would need that feature too.

I recently added this feature into xmail:

spamassassin (spamd via spamc) reports, with default config,
to every mail received by xmail the following bad score of 1.3:
 "1.3 RDNS_NONE   Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS"
After much research and experimenting I figured out what the reason is:
it is the "Received:" line xmail prepends to the mail depending on
"ReceivedHdrType" in server.tab. There are choices from 0 to 4, and
I added one more (5), and now spamassassin no more gives the above spam-score.

If anybody is taking feature requests: I would be interested in a way of
XMail talking to a “filter” via a socket. Now, for every e-mail to be
filtered, a process has to be started. It would be much more efficient if
XMail could talk a filter-server via a socket. That filter server could be
anything, but maybe we could even get it to talk directly to spamd and
clamd…

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll study the xmail sources.

--
Thx
Uenal