On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Halim Issa <yalla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently set out to rebuild X11 with new xorg-server, new mesa, new drm and
> a few others.
>
> However, after upgrading to libxcb-1.2, I have a hard time compiling a number
> of packages such as libXdamage and libXaw.
>
> They all fail while looking for libxcb-xlib.la which according to changelog
> was removed on purpose.
>
> grep: /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
> /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la' is not a valid libtool archive
>
> I am sure I am not the first to have run into this, but I have not been able
> to google any good solutions, just a plethora of questions similar to this
> one.
>
> Can anyone kindly point me to a place where a solution or background to this
> problem is described?

Unfortunately, since libtool transfers "needed" libraries forward into
the .la files, you'll probably need to rebuild libX11 and all the
libraries that depend on it. You need libX11 to drop its link to
libxcb-xlib.so and remove the reference to libxcb-xlib.la in
libX11.la. Then you'd need to rebuild libXext so that libXext.la no
longer contains its reference to libxcb-xlib.la. Etc...

Or remove all the references to libxcb-xlib.la in all your installed
.la files. Or just remove all the installed .la files (this can cause
issues in a couple cases, but using pkg-config alleviates most of
them).

--
Dan