Hi Jeroen.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:46:09 +0100
"Jeroen Breedveld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The company I work is planning to implement XUpdate on a persistent DOM
> implementation with its own XPath implementation. To do that we are
> considering to use lexus because that saves us a lot of work but also we
> would like to contribute to something that only gets better when more people
> are working on it.

That's absolutely true. There are many people using XUpdate and Lexus
but only a few of them gave usefull feedback. To change this we decided
to move the development of Lexus to the XML:DB Initiative.

> The only thing stopping us from using it right now is the fact that lexus
> uses XPath from xalan and that beats the purpose of having our own XPath
> implementation. Is it possible to change lexus to allow it to accept a
> generic XPath implementation to be used for evaluating the select
> expressions from XUpdate?

Yes, of course! The only problem why we used the Xalan package is the
lack of a generic XPath interface. The JAXP people are working on this
topic, but right now I don't know the current status. That is why we
considered to develop an own package with factories for XPath processors
and XUpdate processors - as an extension to JAXP. That is what the
Infozone-Tools package provides. The other point why we hardcoded Xalan
is that Xalan was the only XPath implementation that did fully support
namespaces at the time we developed Lexus.

If we can make the XPath and XUpdate factories part of a common XML:DB
module then there is no problem to use a generic XPath implementation
in Lexus.

> If it is posssible we're willing to contribute to lexus to make this
> possible.

It's always nice to read! :-)