Hi Folks.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jonathan Borden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gesendet am: 20. Feb 2003, 20:41:44

> Dave Raggett wrote:
>

> > I am the activity lead for W3C's work on multimodal interaction
> > and believe that XUpdate or something close to it would be valuable
> > in a role where a network resident dialog system wants to update
> > a graphical user interface on a mobile device without having to
> > reload the whole page.
>
> cool.
>

> > I have been asked to make a presentation to the W3C Technical
> > Plenary in early March, and am creating some slides based upon the
> > materials on the xmldb.org website. The question is bound to come up
> > as to what the legal situation would be for W3C to base some of its
> > work on XUpdate. I found an apache style open source license for the
> > software provided by xmldb.org, but was unable to find anything on
> > the use of the XUpdate specification itself.
>
> good point. the current copyright just says "All Rights Reserved" which is a
> bit draconian.
>

> > For instance, could W3C rewrite the spec as a W3C working draft and
> > release it under the W3C copyright? Have the xmldb.org members made
> > any patent disclosures in respect of XUpdate?
> >
> > I would also be interested in any materials you can point me to
> > relating to a comparison between XUpdate and an alternative based
> > upon serializing calls to the XML DOM. I expect that the latter
> > approach would involve much larger messages as well as being much
> > less declarative.
> >
> > Looking forward to hearing from you,
> >
> > p.s. I was unable to find any specific people to contact on the
> > xmldb.org website apart from this email address.
>
> Well according to http://www.xmldb.org/community.html I guess the XML:DB
> management committee would need to decide on this.
> http://www.xmldb.org/credits.html#management . We are a pretty informal
> organization as such organizations go. In the spirit of the Apache license,
> which governs our software, I'd request that any modification to XUpdate
> give proper credit to its origins.
>
> How do other folks feel about this?

Here is a quote from our web site:
"XML:DB does not at this time consider itself a standards body.
Therefore, as it makes sense to do so we will submit our specifications
to an appropriate standards body for international standardization."

For me it is ok, if someone tries to derive a new specification from
the original XUpdate spec. The XML:DB license also include material
on the web site, so the Apache style license also covers the provided
XUpdate specification.

Please note that several open source projects and commercial products
already use the XUpdate spec and include the reference implementation.

Regards, Lars.
Lars Martin                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
D-04347 Leipzig                                    Rohrteichstrasse 18
Tel: +49-(0)341-699 46 04                    Fax: +49-(0)341-699 47 04
Product Management Business Server BS1