> This is something that has also been bothering me, Lexus can easily be
> made compatible with the newest xalan and xerces (or it already is), but
> I think the problem lies with the xmldb-common jar which is dependent on
> an old version of xalan. I don't know if those classes can easily be
> made compatible with the new xalan and xerces without breaking the
> compatibility with other packages dependent on xmldb-common.

The problem is not the support of Xalan1 (which is the default xslt processor,
but curiously it's not supported anymore) but the support of Xalan-2.0.x.  If
you have a component that supports Xalan-2.X, you have to upgrade whenever a new
version of Xalan comes out.  Otherwise you have the situation that we are now
experimenting with xapi/xupade.

The solution is to simply work like any other Open Source project: make
releases.  The CVS tree should not contain the latest release, but the latest
development.

1) release xmldb-common-1.0, xapi-1.0 right now, write in the README the version
of Xerces/Xalan used

2) fix the Xalan/Xerces problem

3) release xmldb-common-1.1 and xapi-1.1 with the fix, write in the README the
new version of Xerces/Xalan used

That's so simple!  But of course this requires some investment and I currently
don't see a lot of backing for the xmldb supporters.  Unfortunately.

-Vladimir (the grumpy)

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
Apache Xindice - http://xml.apache.org/xindice