On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:13:48 +0100
Lars Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm developing some tools to allow data to be exported from a database =
> as XML, modified remotely (e.g. on a PDA), and then imported back into =
> the database. XUpdate seems to be a suitable way to record the changes =
> to the XML data.

Sounds interesting.

> 1) Is there a standard way of indicating, in an XML data file, which =
> actions are permitted to each type of element - insert, update, delete. =
> I.e. a way of  restricting which XUpdate elements are permitted?

What about using the DTD/Schema of XUpdate?

> 2) Is there a standard file extension for XUpdate files (in the same way =
> that schemas are normally .xsd) or do you normally just use .xml?

No, not yet. Would this make sense?

> 3) When is XUpdate likely to move beyond the Working Draft stage?

Good question... next question. ;-)
I can't answer this question, because it depends on the strength of
this working group and every interested developer. There are several
projects using the XUpdate specification but there are still open
issues and features to improve.

An other idea is to move the development over to the W3C to gain more
momentum from official quarters...

Regards, Lars