On Wednesday, December 19, 2001, at 12:11 PM, Timothy M. Dean wrote:

I am in the process of making some Xindice code changes that will make my life a lot easier - I've made some progress and I hope to be able to get all of my problems fixed. I will gladly submit any enhancements I make to the open source project, if the rest of the community feels that my enhancements are the right thing to do. The following is a list of enhancements that I intend to make - If there is anyone already working on this please let me know. Also, if there is any advice/recommendations that people would like to make to help guide my direction, I welcome further discussion on any of these issues. Here is what I am planning to do:

Fixes for these things would be happily accepted.

1) I will copy the setNamespace() and related methods from the
XPathQueryService to the XUpdateQueryService. Because this is not
currently in the XUpdate service spec (and may never be), I will make my
changes only in the Xindice implementation of the service and use
appropriate casting in my code to avoid making the assumption that this
would be part of the XUpdateSpec. This change will address the
inconsistencies and programmatic limitations I'm having when making
updating namespaced documents.

You're probably right that this is cleaner and it's definitely more consistent. For now we can incorporate the methods in Xindice and then change the interface in the next update. Let's use Xindice as a prototype to see how this works.

2) I will modify the XUpdate service's server-side implementation to
pass the appropriate namespace maps into the XPath query code. This
should address the problems I've encountered when trying to update
against an entire collection rather than an individual resource.

This would be great.

3) I will attempt to modify how namespace prefixes are resolved so that
namespace declarations *within the XUpdate <modifications> XML* will be
used rather than the declarations within the target document(s). This
change may be within Xindice code or it could be in the Lexus code. I'm
not sure how to go about getting the latest Lexus code, or how to submit
changes if it becomes necessary to do so: Any advice on how to proceed
with possible changes in Lexus code would be appreciated.

This will almost certainly be in the Lexus code. If you can get CVS and make some patches send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, and I would love it if
there were some discussion on these issues so that I can make my
enhancements more useful to the rest of the Apache community.

Since most of this affects Xindice specifically, we should move this conversation to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Tim

Contact administrator:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Read archived messages: http://archive.xmldb.org/

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/