Greetings,
I have what I hope is a rather simple question, but I have been unable
to find specific examples of how to do this in the documentation
(perhaps it should be added).

How does one select an attribute node?

What would probably be the most helpful, would be if someone could look
at the following example and tell me where I have strayed (the reason
this isn't totally off topic, is that I need it to update an attribute
value using XUpdate so if anyone has wisdom to offer specific to that
purpose, it too would be appreciated):

given the document:

<itemgroup>
        <item id="1" name="brick">
        <item id="2" name="cat">
</itemgroup>

how would I select the ID of a "brick" ?

My inclination would be the following:
/[EMAIL PROTECTED]"brick"]/attribute::id

but this doesn't work (or, at least not on my otherwise functional
implementation of apache's xindice; it works fine if I stick to elements
in this query)

How should this be revised?

Many thanks,
Paul Caritj