On 2016-06-07 Ximin Luo wrote:
> I've attached a patch that makes m4/posix-shell.m4 try constant paths
> first. This should fix the issue.
>
> Upstream should also apply it - see more-stable-shell.patch.

Thanks!

posix-shell.m4 comes from gnulib so it would be nice if you could send
the patch there and discuss the issue with gnulib developers. Perhaps
there is a reason why the shells are tested in that order, although the
gnulib commit messages don't have any reasoning. A guess is that
someone might prefer if the same shell is used for running
configure and the test suite scripts. Anyway, getting it fixed in gnulib
would get it fixed in projects other than XZ Utils too.

One can force the POSIX shell to a specific value on the configure
command line by passing, for example, "gl_cv_posix_shell=/bin/sh" as an
argument. It's not documented in the --help output but it's mentioned
in INSTALL section 3.1. That is an alternative to patching to get
reproducible builds.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode