Keith
I’m not getting a sense that your sincerely happy for me. Maybe I’m just
a little insecure. I don’t know but this is neither the time or the
place for that discussion. : )

Scott responded to this but since you directed it at me it’s only fair
that I give you an answer. I N-E-V-E-R said I use or would suggest to
use Yojimbo as a total GTD tool. There is NO total GTD tool, not
OmniFocus, not Things, not kGTD, not Entourage, etc. You’re right
Yojimbo is part of my system (the archive). That’s all any piece of
software can hope to be, a part of a complete system. This is
repeated throughout the book beginning in the preface.

There are people on this list that use Yojimbo as their primary process
and review tool within their daily GTDing. I’m honestly not sure how
effective it can be over a long period of time but I’d love to hear more
about it.

> Everything else ends up in the *correct* folder.
>
> There is such a thing as the *correct* folder  as there are such
> things as objective hierarchies -- ones which capture real
> relationships between things. You can think of genus-species
> groupings in biology, or project-file groupings in your work. Where
> such groupings exist, a hierarchical file structure has real value,
> but they take some thinking about to be stable/valuable-- which is
> why the profession of 'librarian' exists for one.

Carlton,
You make excellent points and I find it interesting that you’re using
Yojimbo as an inbox where you go back to identify/process the
information at a later date. It’s much different than how I use it and
seems like a solid system. You hit at the initial point that I was
trying to make which was the importance of the initial identification
process of a digital asset.

I do have to respectfully disagree with the idea of a *correct* folder.
I’m not saying it doesn’t exist or can’t be part of a larger
organizational system. I just think this method can easily (and often
does) break down when a second user is introduced to the system.

Everyone on this list has probably had the uncomfortable sensation of
starting a new job and being welcomed with a new folder structure to
learn. Your’e at the mercy of whoever decided on the file and folder
naming structure (Who may not even be with the company anymore).
Tags,notes/comments, saved searches, etc. offer a solution that tech
savy librarians and information architects have been promoting recently.
    (*See : “Ambient Findability” by Peter Morville and
        “Keeping Found Things Found” by William Jones)

Anyone and everyone can name an item without stepping on your coworker
or boss’ toes. You name an item in a meaningful way to you, and others
get to do the same. A new employee can find a file in a shorter period
of time and without having to shamefully ask her cubicle mate when
searching for file 03.5248-Financials.doc that’s buried in a seven level
folder structure on the external corporate database.

I've read that the average professional spends a third of their week
looking for information that they have previously encountered! So as
well as folders have worked for some people, more fluid systems need to
be put in place for the rest of us.

I’ve helped turn this into exactly what I didn’t want
- The Continuing Saga of Nested Folders -
It ends here!
: ) Luis