Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the valuable feedback. If this discussion should be moved out of the dev list, just let me know.

I attempted as per your advice below. I had no problem with the tasks up to the "yaird -o /boot/init-2...."

However yaird produces the following error.

"yaird error: could not read output for /sbin/modprobe -v -n --show-depends --set-version 2.6.15_yos_3 evdev (fatal)"

manually typing "/sbin/modprobe -v -n --show-depends --set-version 2.6.15_yos_3 evdev" gives the following output:

"insmod /lib/modules/2.6.15_yos_3/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko"

Looking inside the /etc/yaird/Default/cfg file, shows that evdev is a keyboard driver and is quoted as not essential and that the system will boot without it. So I tried commenting out the evdev line.

re-running yaird -o...... to make my initrd image still produces almost the same error.

"yaird error: Could not read output for /sbin/modprobe -v -n --show-depends --set-version 2.6.15_yos_3 sym53c8xx (fatal)"

This is important, because that is the driver module for my scsi card.

So, given the error is very similar, I'm wondering if this might be permissions or paths problems or a problem with yaird.

I appreciate your assistance.

Cheers.
D.

Tobias Gerschner wrote:
Hi Dion,

When the installation cd does boot you should be able to use Yoper on
your system. It is using exactly the same kernel.

To build an initrd image via yaird from the live cd into an existing
system you have to do the following :

1) mount your root partition :

'mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1' (make sure the only mount option is rw)

2) copy your device node files from the live cd into the new root file system

'cp -a /dev/hd* /dev/sd* /media/sda1/dev'

3) chroot into the new installation

'chroot /media/sda1'

4) mount the kernel file systems

'mount /proc' , 'mount /sys'

5) try to rebuild the image with yaird

yaird -o /boot/initrd.whatever

Make sure the installation of the bootloader does really work properly.

regards and good luck

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by
incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte