Hi Guys,

Warning: This is a longish email.

Okay, just an update on how the install went. After I was finally able
to get a clean download and a clean burn of the ISO, the install went
faiirly smooth. (No Surprises there really)

But a couple of things I noticed:
1. The media check doesn't seem to check anything, I got no output and
after about 1.5 seconds the installation continued as normal. It did
this on the good disc I had but also on the bad disc that should have
failed any media check.
2. The cfdisk step, I already had the partitions I wanted but thought
I would take a look at them anyway. After looking at them I quit
without making any changes, after telling me that on an error it would
reboot  it then did nothing. It may have dropped me to a shell but
there was no curser or command prompt so I just rebooted. I didn't
check if it was a shell because of the trouble I'd had with it
freezing earlier so just hit reset.

This is already known, but udev is still spitting out error messages.
There wasn't anything that looked like a real problem there though.

The last issue that came up was X freezing up on me. I suspect it was
because of the unit over-bl**dy-heating, anyway I am not sure about
that one. The card is an SIS S3 DDR Pro Savage, an old onboard
graphics chip. I did a hard reboot, Grub looks nice by the way. Yoper
loaded up and dropped me into a shell, so the first thing I did was
try and run kdmctrl to get a display manager, I guess yoper doesn't
use it anymore because I couldn't find it :) I did a startx to see
what meesages I got from xorg. There wasn't anything realy helpful so
I ran xorgconfig. But, I have no real idea what the graphic
capabilities, screen resolution all that sort of stuff is so I just
opted for really low options. Then restarted x. I got a basic x window
display! That was really cool. Then that was it for the time being,
shutdown, go home, la la la.

So, late last night I fired it up again. I was amazed, because it put
me into a display manager from which I was able to log in and get kde!
That was nice. But my desktop window was about 640x480 and took up
only half of the laptops screen. So back to xorg.conf, I manually
edited a few options I knew I was over conservative on and restarted
x, but nothing changed so I tried the xorgcfg utility. It detected the
card, the resolution and proper screen size and everything. Magic :)
That was it, so now I have a fully functioning Yoper laptop!

Things I haven't checked out yet are internet, wireless internet via a
pcmcia card and USB devices and smb shares and so forth.

That's the end of the issues I had installing. I hope some of the
above can be useful in streamlining further.

Now the Positives!

Grub looks nice, the system is nice and responsive and looks good, the
default colours are very cool. The system responds far quicker than
Kubuntu, in fact it kills Kubuntu for speed, The installer overall was
very straightforward. Basically the majority of problems I was having
were because of Windows! So am looking forward to testing this out
more.

Now my request to you guys is what needs testing on this ? Let me know
and I'll try and get some info on whatever neeeds testing.

Thanks,

Kaneri
aka lordtweety