From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 2:39 PM
To: zenoss-users@zenoss.org
Subject: RE: [zenoss-users] Major WMI issues

Wesley Sparks,

1. Not exactly.

On your DC, launch your "Active Directory Users and Computers" MMC and
create a user (e.g. "Zenoss") in the "Users" OU.  Add this user to the
"Administrators" group under the "Builtin" OU.  (Do not add the user to
"Domain Admins" under the "Users" OU). Do this for each domain in your
forest.  The reason for this is all members of the "Administrators"
group have access to "Launch and Activate" permissions for DCOM, the
"Domain Admins" group does not.

On all member servers (either standalone or a member of your domain) or
any workstation for that matter, launch your "Local Users and Groups"
MMC and create the same user as above (e.g. "Zenoss") under "Users".
Add this user to the "Administrators" group under "Groups" in the same
MMC.  Also, for member servers, add the "Administrators" group for the
domain into the "Administrators" group.

For this new user (e.g. "Zenoss"), make sure you use the same password
on all devices.

2. For all the non-zenwin servers that you are going to be monitoring,
set the following (Using the "Zenoss" user as the example):

Zwinpassword = mypassword
Zwinuser = .\Zenoss

You should set this at the "/Devices/Server/Windows" class level.  So,
in the Zenoss web interface, click "Devices" under "Main Views".  Click
the "Classes" tab, click "Server", click "Windows", click the
"zProperties" tab.  Enter the user and password accordingly.

Once you do this, click back to the "Devices" tab and click the name of
the server where you have zenwin installed .  Click the "zProperties"
tab and erase the Zwinpassword and Zwinuser, click the save button.

3. Regarding the zenwin config:

Here is a sample config file, zope user and pass below are used if you
are using the VM appliance, otherwise set accordingly.  The IP address
is the IP of your Zenoss server.

winurl          http://192.168.0.1:8080/zport/dmd/Devices/Server/Windows
zopeusername    admin
zopepassword    zenoss
zem                     http://192.168.0.1:8081/

If you modify the zenwin config files, you do not need to re-install the
services, just restart them.

Also, if you had to make any changes to your DCOM or if you had to
import the "Administrators" domain group into the local "Administrators"
group, you will have to reboot your server.

I also came up with a simple solution for monitoring my servers in
multiple DMZs that I have, without having to open up all sorts of ports
for DCOM on my firewall or having to define port ranges for DCOM on my
servers...if you're interested.

Another question, are your servers Windows 2000 or 2003?

-Ryon