Preserving wilderness
  - extracts

  By Wendell Berry
  [The Landscape of Harmony: two essays on wilderness & community | five
seasons press, 1985.]
http://www.fiveseasonspress.com/InPrintList.htm

. . . If I had to choose, I would join the nature extremists against the
technology extremists, but this choice seems poor, even assuming that it is
possible. I would prefer to stay in the middle, not to avoid taking sides, but
because I think the middle is a side, as well as the real location of the
problem.

The middle, of course, is always rather roomy and bewildering territory, and so
I should state plainly the assumptions that define the ground on which I intend
to stand:

1. We live in a wilderness, in which we and our works occupy a tiny space and
play a tiny part. We exist under its dispensation and by its tolerance.

2. This wilderness, the universe, is somewhat hospitable to us, but it is also
absolutely dangerous to us (it is going to kill us, sooner or later), and we
are absolutely dependent upon it.

3. That we depend upon what we are endangered by is a problem not solvable by
"problem solving." It does not have what the nature romantic or the technocrat
would regard as a solution. We are not going back to the Garden of Eden, nor
are we going to manufacture an Industrial Paradise.

4. There does exist a possibility that we can live more or less in harmony with
our native wilderness; I am betting my life that such a harmony is possible.
But I do not believe that it can be achieved simply or easily or that it can
ever be perfect, and I am certain that it can never be made, once and for all,
but is the forever unfinished lifework of our species.

5. It is not possible (at least, not for very long) for humans to intend their
own good specifically or exclusively. We cannot intend our good, in the long
run, without intending the good of our place-which means, ultimately, the good
of the world.

6. To use or not to use nature is not a choice that is available to us; we can
live only at the expense of other lives. Our choice has rather to do with how
and how much to use. This is not a choice that can be decided satisfactorily in
principle or in theory; it is a choice intransigently impractical. That is, it
must be worked out in local practice because, by necessity, the practice will
vary somewhat from one locality to another. There is, thus, no practical   way
that we can intend the good of the world; practice can only be local.

7. If there is no escape from the human use of nature, then human good cannot
be simply synonymous with natural good.

What these assumptions describe, of course, is the human predicament. It is a
spiritual predicament, for it requires us to be properly humble and grateful;
time and again, it asks us to be still and wait. But it is also a practical
problem, for it requires us to do things.
In going to work on this problem it is a mistake to proceed on the basis of an
assumed division or divisibility between nature and humanity, or wildness and
domesticity. But it is also a mistake to assume that there is no difference
between the natural and the human.

If these things could be divided, our life would be far simpler and easier than
it is, just as it would be if they were not different. Our problem, exactly, is
that the human and the natural are indivisible, and yet are different.

. .

We need wilderness of all kinds,
large and small, public and private
We need to go now and again
into places where our work is
disallowed, where our hopes and
plans have no standing.
We need to come into the presence of the
unequal and mysterious formality of
Creation

.  .

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/PMYolB/TM

This is ZESTAlternative, whose members circulate an article every alternate day
on alternative modes to dominant ways of thinking in the modern world. Members
are allowed to respond to an article but not initiate new discussions.

If you got this mail as a forward, join ZESTAlternative by sending a blank mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or, if you have a Yahoo! ID, visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTAlternative/join/

Yahoo! Groups Links