Dear Brs Ram and Shinde,
  Let me give my opinion on this matter as I am very frequent visitor to
Libraries where ever I stay.

   It is wrong to say that Gandhi's influence is on decline in US. It is
increasing day by day in western countries unlike in India. That is due to the
glorification of Gandhi in Attenborough’s film and Dr Martin Luther's King's
propagation of Gandhian ideas in US.

   It is not true that people reading books are on decline. A book is a book.
Invention of audios CDs or publication books on Internet did not diminish one
of the great habits of human kind - reading. Though I am a computer
professional, I prefer reading a book rather than listening to CD or reading on
internet. I feel good when I read book holding in my hands. If you go to any
Library, you can see people checking 10s books at one time. For some people,
reading books is a passion which they do not get by reading them on internet.
So, books are in demand and it will be so in future. So, I am 100% agree with
Br Shinde. To spread the Dr Ambedkar's literature and dalit literature, the
best way is to donate books to Libraries in large numbers all around the world.
Where ever I go, my habit is to check how many books are there in that library
system on Dalit issues. To my surprise, I did not even find Dr Ambedkar
biographies in many of the county libraries. Even in LA central library, I
 could not fine Dr Ambedkar biography though I found other Dalit literature,
though small numbers. So, the need of the hour is to donate our books to
libraries where ever possible. That is not small issue. I proposed a Dalit
library club a year back and the response is almost nil. If we have at least
10-20 people who are ready to spend a paltry sum of $100 a year, we can get
hundreds of books from India at very cheaper prices. We may read them for
ourselves and donate to libraries all over US. So, I am ready to shoulder this
responsibility if 10-20 people come forward to spend $100 (or $50) per year.
ANY TAKERS?

   We can also bombard internet with videos, audios and internet article, as
you have said. But that is not substitute to books.

  So, let us do something wisely, if we really want to spread the word around
the human kind.

  With regards
  Benjamin Paul Kaila

Rama Krishna Bhupathi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Sometime last year I distributed Ambedkar CD's to the local library.
Ambedkar's popularity does not worry me much. Awareness and popularity of
Gandhi is on the decline , while that of Ambedkar's is on the ascendance. It
is only a matter of time before Ambedkar catches up with gandhi.

For the  last two years we in the Bay Area have been  celebrating
Ambedkar's birthday. Nothing of that sort was heard about Gandhi. These
days even the hindus do not like him. Not so much from the Congress party
itself.

To popularise Ambedkar  in the western world we need to look to the
internet. Nobody borrows books any more. More books  in the libraries are
being replaced with CDs/DVD's. We should put more videos , media files on
the internet for people to watch and learn.

Regards,
RamaK

On 1/29/06, Ravikiran Shinde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All,
> Jaibhim
>
> Problem: Dr Ambedkar not as popular in North America as Gandhi
>
> Possible Solution: Fill in the Libraries of America with Books on Dr
> Ambedkar and his Dalit movement. Right now, there is almost nothing that is
> available in these public Libraries here, while there are tones of books
> available on Gandhi.
>
> I successfully donated Dr. Zelliot's famous book "From untouchables to
> Dalit" to the Columbus Ohio Library. The book is in its catalogue now.
>
> People in US and Canada, please try to do this in your respective public
> libraries.
>
> Thank You,
> Ravikiran Shinde
>

>   Eleanor Zelliot wrote:
>
> Dear Ravikaran:
> Thank you for your efforts to get people to read about
> Dalits. Now you'll have to get people to go to the library to check out
>   From Untouchable to Dalit to show the Library it is used!
> You might want to post: Untouchable Saints: An Indian Phenomenon, edited
> by Eleanor Zelliot and Rohini Mokashi-Punekar. Manohar 2005, contains
> articles and text about Nandnar, Tirupan Alvar, Chokhamela and his family
> and Ravidas. Only Ravidas is currently of enormous importance to the
> Dalit
> (and Ambedkar) movements, but the creativity of Dalits in early centuries
> is of great importance to knowledge of what the Untouchables actually
> were
> capable of. I doubt if the library should carry this, but I'd be glad to
> send you a personal copy and I'd like the book publisized. Thanks for all
> your good work. Eleanor Z.
>
> --On Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:28 PM -0800 Ravikiran Shinde
> wrote:
>

>   Dear Eleanor,
>   Happy to let you know that your book " From untouchables to Dalit" is
>   now catalogued in the Columbus Metropolitan Library. After much efforts,
>   I could ask them to catalogue it.
>
>   They are not buying any new books since it they are short of funding.
>   Normally, they would accpet books from the author that already has a
> book
>   in the Library catalgue. In your case, I gave areference to Mr Vasant
>   Moons biography
>   ( which is available i n the library) and your association with it.
>
>   Perhaps this is one of the best ways to popularise Dr Ambedkar in North
>   America- i.e To keep donating books related to him and the Dalit
>   movement.
>
>   Thank you very much for sending the book to me.
>
>   I am currently maintaining the website www.amebdkar.org. If you have any
>   recent research material available on Dalit subject that you want to
>   publish, I will be more than happy to post it on the website.
>
>   Take care,
>   Ravikiran Shinde
>

>   Eleanor Zelliot wrote:

> [...]

Please visit www.ambedkar.org for latest Views & News regarding Dalits. Also
get free email id for you & your family.

    Visit your group "Dalit" on the web.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An educated man without character and humility was more dangerous than a beast.
If his education was detrimental to the welfare of poor, he was a curse to
society.
-Babasaheb Dr B R Ambedkar
Please visit www.ambedkarscholarship.org

This is ZESTCaste whose members watch India's painful journey to society's
de-casteisation. Members are encouraged to post messages to
ZESTCaste@yahoogroups.com

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join

Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail.
Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to [EMAIL
PROTECTED], OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join

Yahoo! Groups Links