http://www.nation.lk/2009/01/11/newsfe3.htm

Sundays without Suranimala

By Dharisha Bastians
As we waited, breath bated for three hours while doctors attempted to
revive Lasantha Wickrematunga from fatal injury he had received last
Thursday, there was communal anguish. We wept at the confirmation that
he had succumbed to his injuries later that afternoon and as we
marched in protest at his brutal murder, the anger and bitterness
within the media community was tangible.
The cold blooded killing of The Sunday Leader Editor in Chief,
Lasantha Wickrematunga has unleashed a wave of emotions in the Sri
Lankan media fraternity over the last 72 hours. Yet, none of the shock
nor grief seemed to hit quite so hard as the tragic sense of loss I
was to feel at the grim realisation that 'Suranimala' would write no
more. For those of us who live by what we write, there is no greater
loss.

Lasantha first began writing under the nom-de-plume 'Suranimala' at
the Island newspaper under the legendary Editor Vijitha Yapa. I was
too young to have read that political column back then or when it was
subsequently published in The Sunday Times in the early days of that
newspaper. Yet, ever since print journalism became my career of
choice, Politics with Suranimala has become staple Sunday fare. Few
other Sunday columnists had the insight, analysis and spicy titbits
that made up the Suranimala column and his 3,000 word full page piece
would be savoured by both readers that required a healthy dose of
political gossip and students of politics alike. The greatest allure
was that Suranimala had what no other political columnist could lay
claim to – that irresistible fly-on-the-wall perspective, which was
possible only for someone with serious access to the corridors of
power.

Indeed, Lasantha Wickrematunga was a political animal. But the thing
is, he was a brilliant journalist in spite of it. Few could understand
or agree with his brand of journalism. It is an anathema for a
journalist, and especially one who lays claim to his own newspaper to
mix politics with professionalism in the way that he did. Yet, for 14
years, he published a popular, if occasionally partisan, newspaper
that the public never really tired of reading. There was space then,
in this society for the kind of journalism Lasantha Wickrematunga
believed in. Where others would cow down in fear, Lasantha thrived on
constant badgering and harassment from the powers that be, fighting
back tooth and nail when his press was sealed, his house attacked and
his printing press burnt. All this because he believed the people
deserved to know and the public devoured it week after week. In his
death, it is this right of the people that has been grossly, brutally
violated. Whether you agree with his brand of journalism or not, the
greatest testimony to Lasantha Wickrematunga's dissemination of
information is the fact that he was killed last Thursday not because
of his politics, but because of what he wrote. In Sri Lankan
journalism, Lasantha leaves a void that cannot be filled simply
because nobody else will even bother to try. It took an individual of
extraordinary strength – perhaps even a politically motivated one – to
face the fire and be willing to be engulfed in those flames.

I first met Lasantha four years ago, when he hired me to work as a
reporter for The Sunday Leader. At the time, he didn't know whether I
could string a sentence together. For my part, I was terrified of
seeing what I wrote in print. Yet, Lasantha not only gave me a job, he
taught me to be a journalist. Green as I was behind the ears, he sent
me out on assignments, to LTTE controlled areas of the north, to the
restive east, on investigative assignments that scared the 24-year-old
straight out of me. But I will remember him best for being the first
of my editors to tell me, with a straight face, when I was overcome
with self-doubt, that yes, I could in fact, write. In the year that I
worked for Lasantha and The Sunday Leader there was no greater reward
than to hear him say, 'good job.' I believe these sentiments would
hold true for anyone who ever worked for Lasantha. Although I have
seen or heard little of him since my tenure at The Sunday Leader, it
will take me much longer than four days to come to terms with the fact
that he no longer exists in the world. Such is the manner of a
colossus; they are not merely individuals but legends that occupy vast
spaces in the smallish world we inhabit.

As I pen these lines, I cannot help but think back to a similar piece
written not so very long ago, about another editor and colleague. I
cannot help but wonder how many more such pieces will have to be
written of friends, colleagues and loved ones. How many more untimely
deaths will we be called upon to mourn, how many more tales of
separation shall we have to endure before the blood letting and
senseless violence ceases? Someday soon, the words won't come and we
will have nothing left to say, except what we shall say to Lasantha
today: 'Farewell friend; God speed.'

Peer Tributes

Dr. Pakiasothy Saravanamuttu, Director, Centre for Policy Alternatives
"I think that the intention of the killing of The Sunday Leader Editor
Lasantha Wickrematunga, the attack on MTV and the attacks on the media
over the last three years is to silence dissent. Their intention is to
create a dictatorship and I call these acts of violence, out and out
terrorism."
"They are not aiming their attacks on an individual, but the democracy
of all people. I think it is time for all those who care about
democracy to make sure it stops."

Rajpal Abeynayake- Editor in Chief, Lakbima News
"My initial encounter with Lasantha was when I was working in The
Island. We were both very new to the field then but even as a young
reporter, he showed much promise. Even at that time, he was showing
tendencies of reporting many controversial stories."
"He was a young man who was very ambitious and energetic. As he was
once working as the Private Secretary to Sirimavo Bandaranaike, he had
a lot of political contacts and was actively involved in politics.
While he was working, he even contested in the elections in Colombo
North. As a journalist, he was very much of an inside player and was
very popular for his own brand of investigations. Whatever he worked
on, he did it with a lot of passion and energy. He brought out a lot
of issues and his objective was to expose the misdeeds of the country.
His greatest strength as a journalist was the drive which he possessed
to go to any length in order to obtain a story."
"However, I personally do not agree with his idea of journalism
because I feel that he was partial and only exposed one side of a
story. I would call him more of a politician than a journalist. But
there were people who agreed with it and all these things should have
space in society."
"This assassination will certainly have a tremendous negative impact
on the field of journalism. First, it was the abduction of Keith
Noyhar and this year it's this assassination; a cold-blooded murder in
broad daylight. It is evident that the situation keeps getting worse.
After this point, every journalist will certainly think twice about
publishing a controversial topic and the news stories would often be
censored, after all everyone is concerned about his life."

Manik De Silva – Editor in Chief, The Sunday Island
"I have known Lasantha ever since he was a little boy. His father
Harris Wickrematunga was a very good friend of mine so I used to visit
them almost every week. So when I visited them, the boys used to be
marvellous about my motorcycles. Later, I met him again while I was
working in the Sunday Observer and I constantly saw his by-lines in
The Sun and The Island."
"However, later when we were both editors we had contacts on
professional matters. I don't think that anyone else has created more
waves in contemporary journalism than him. He attracted a lot of
information and I think his legal training as a lawyer also drove him
into venturing deep into a story. However there is this perception
that he was a politically partial journalist, with which I do not
agree since I believe that he was politically neutral."

"People have always been rising to challenges, so hopefully the
traditions that Lasantha set would prevail."

Vijitha Yapa, Former Editor, The Island and Founding Editor, The Sunday Times
"I met Lasantha in 1983 while I was working as the Editor of The
Island and he joined us as a reporter. He was a very meticulous worker
and was able to get very politically sensitive stories. We always
found him to be very reliable and his stories always appeared on page
one."

"In 1987 while I joined The Times, he contacted me and asked whether
he could write a political column in the paper under the pseudonym,
Suranimala. This became a very popular column in the paper and he was
very precise about what he said. He was armed with a lot of political
contacts and was always able to obtain very accurate information. Once
he was able to get a copy of a letter which President Ranasinghe
Premadasa had sent and after we published it, Mr. K.H.J. Wijedasa, the
Secretary to the President during those times called me up and
inquired where we obtained the letter from. That was the extent that
he went to reporting a good story and he always backed it up with
documentation."

"His greatest strengths as a journalist were his political contacts.
He was a candidate of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) and was once
the Private Secretary to Sirimavo Bandaranaike. This gave him a lot of
access to a lot of personalities in the political field. He made sure
that these contacts he built were used to the maximum. His weakness in
the field was that he was always saying things which gave an
indication of what he was going to do and this always ended up in the
other newspapers carrying write-ups on some of the ideas which he was
also working on. I advised him many times regarding this weakness of
his but somehow he seemed to continue this habit of his. However he
was a very dedicated staff member and his whole world revolved around
newspapers."

"The assassination of Lasantha is not only a loss of a brave
journalist to Sri Lanka but also to the world. He was a fearless
personality that fought against corruption. What sort of an impact
this would create on the rest of the members of the field of media I
cannot say. But speaking of what I believe in, these incidents have
been occurring worldwide but none of the suppression could stop
writers. It always became a symbol of what journalists should try to
achieve."

(Compiled by Lakna Paranamanna)

PARTICIPATE
Share media news, discuss journalism issues and network with media
professionals across South Asia on this mailing list. Just write to
zestmedia@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTMedia by sending a blank
mail to zestmedia-subscr...@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTCaste:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: