On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:23:06PM -0800, Chris Frost wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:03:07PM -0700, Neil Perrin wrote:
> > A write made through the ZPL (zfs_write()) will be broken into transactions
> > that contain at most 128KB user data. So a large write could well be split
> > across transaction groups, and thus committed separately.
>
> That answers my exact question; thanks!

For my PhD thesis I am working on file systems that build on shadow paging
and am interested in the design choices behind ZFS. Off the top of your
head, how fundamental would you say it is for the system to split each
zfs_write() into transactions <=128KB in size? That is, could the system
support far larger transactions easily and efficiently? Could the system
be made to support transactions that are bounded in size only by free
pool space?

thanks again,
--
Chris Frost