> Is it currently or near future possible to shrink a
> zpool "remove a disk"

As other's have noted, no, not until the mythical bp_rewrite() function is
introduced.

So far I have found no documentation on bp_rewrite(), other than it is the
solution to evacuating a vdev, restriping a vdev, defragmenting a vdev, solving
world hunger and bringing peace to the Middle East.

If you search the forums you will find all sorts of discussion around this
evasive feature, but nothing concrete.  I think it's hiding behind the unicorn
located at the end of the rainbow.

With Oracle withdrawing/inhousing/whatever development, it's a safe bet that
bp_rewrite() now rests in the hands of the community, possibly to be born in
Nexenta-land.

Maybe it's time for me to quit whining, dust off my K&R book and get to work on
the weekends coming up with an honest implementation plan.

Anyone want to join a task force for getting bp_rewrite() implemented as a
community effort?