Hello Dear Friends of the List,

Weird!  Can anybody please help me with the following:

I have a stock Workgroup Server 9150/120 with 256 MB RAM installed
that mysteriously stopped working in a way that I have NEVER
seen before!

The machine was operating completely normally (with OS 7.6.1)
and I merely needed to restart it after installing some new software.

So I selected "Restart" from the Special menu...
and the screen went blank, and the system went to reboot...

.. but absolutely nothing happened after that!!!

(NO startup chime, no image or blank raster on the screen,
no Sad Mac or error code, no error tones... NOTHING!

It's as if restarting the system KILLED IT!!!!
Virtually NOTHING happens when I turn the power on...
..not even a startup chime.

The fan spins...
.. the power light comes on...
.. the hard disk spins up to operating speed...
.. and that's ALL it does... it stays like that indefinitely.

Could it be that the power supply has gone bad?

Or is there possibly a problem with the RAM?
(I thought that if the RAM was a problem, the mobo would produce a startup
chime, but then fail the POST test with a Sad Mac error code.  Am I wrong?)

What about the chance that the oscillator that controls the CPU has failed?

Or that the ROM chip has gone bad?

So far, I have tried the following steps, all without success:

1.  Replaced the PRAM battery with a brand new one
2.  Removed all hard drives and tried to boot from known good drive
3.  Replaced the internal SCSI cable with a known good one
4.  Removed ALL NuBus cards
5.  Took out the PDS terminator from the PDS slot and replaced it
     with another known good PDS terminator
6.  Tried to "bypass" the internal 120 MHz 601 PPC CPU by inserting
     a NewerTech Maxpowr G3 upgrade into the PDS slot

NONE of these steps has worked, unfortunately.

I've only had this machine for about three months, and I depend on it for my
livelihood (it runs my Protools Digital Audio Workstation).

Please help if you can!

Thanks in advance,
Greg Shafritz

P.S.: Please send your reply to me off list, as I'm in "digest mode"
        and I might not get it for a week or more if you post it to the list
        (the last 1st PowerMacs Digest came out TWO WEEKS ago!)

  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal