>At 9:57 PM -0500 01/26/2006, Guy wrote:
>>
>>So, I'm assuming the 'updated browser' that Dan mentioned is this
>>'Appleshare IP server suite', but there seems to be no place to
>>download it from apple's web site--they only have updaters for those
>>with previous versions of IP.
>
>AppleShare Client
>
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60792
>
>- Dan.

A note of appreciation to Dan from yet another reader.

All this talk of networking made me suspect that I should be able to
initiate a network from my 6100 (still running OS 7.6.1!) to my wife's eMac
(under Panther 10.3.9).  Formerly I could initiate a network connection
only from the eMac.  Thanks to Dan's suggestion, I can now initiate
networking from either machine.  This valuable new capability was provided
by installing AppleShare Client 3.8 (referred to in the link that Dan
provided).

I did hit a temporary snag: my 6100 under OS 7.6.1 was running Open
Transport 1.1.1, but the ReadMe that accompanies AppleShare Client warned
that I had to upgrade to 1.1.2 or later.  I searched Apple's website
fruitlessly for a separate download of _any_ version of Open Transport.

It seems that Open Transport is available only on Mac OS installation CDs
or images, and the version included with my OS 7.6 CDs and the 7.6.1 Update
is O.T. 1.1.1. Some later versions of Open Transport are 1.2 (included, I
think, with Mac OS 8.0) and 1.3 (included in Mac OS 8.1).  Since I have the
install images for Mac OS 8.1 on hand, I upgraded Open Transport to version
1.3.

So I am now running OS 7.6.1 successfully with Open Transport 1.3.  I still
have no idea of how a person could obtain O.T. 1.1.2 if that were _really_
needed.

Mel H.

  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal