On 11/21/2013 2:52 PM, Patrick Reinhart wrote:
Hi Phil,

Am 21.11.2013 um 23:08 schrieb Phil Race <philip.r...@oracle.com>:

What would be the correct solution for this problem?
Which problem ?

7107175  sounds like a bug in the parameters we pass to lpr

The other problem you mention is largely if not entirely because IPP lumped
trays along with papers as being "Media".

See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2566#section-4.2.11

   If a Printer object supports a medium name as a value of this
   attribute, such a medium name implicitly selects an input-tray that
   contains the specified medium.  If a Printer object supports a medium
   size as a value of this attribute, such a medium size implicitly
   selects a medium name that in turn implicitly selects an input-tray
   that contains the medium with the specified size.  If a Printer
   object supports an input-tray as the value of this attribute, such an
   input-tray implicitly selects the medium that is in that input-tray
   at the time the job prints.

If I understand this correct, that means it should be possible to just define a
MediaTray without a MediaSizeName then right? But in my environment the default
MediaSizeName is set to Letter even though the current PrintService would
define A4 as the default.

I see a line in RasterPrinterJob.java which might cause that to happen if you specify a tray and no paper but that seems like its a bug. It should always be the default for the current printer unless I'm forgetting something we had to do for backwards compatibility.

If I compare the basic behavior in comparison to the Windows implementation.
The are some differences in setting the default MediaSize and MediaSizeName.
Those will be not initialized in the Windows world and taken from the current
PrintService in case it's not set via PrintRequestAttributeSet.

I can see no way around this other than defining an new attribute class that
doesn't
subclass Media and duplicates MediaTray .. but then you'd also need to say what
happens
if someone specifies two different trays, one by each means.

I do not completely understand what you mean. Do you mean the use case if one
specifies A4,Tray2 but Tray2 contains Letter?

I meant that if we provided a new class "MediaSource" you could specify MediaSource.TRAY1 whilst still specifying for "Media" an instance of the subclass MediaTray that corresponded
to TRAY2.

-phil.

Patrick

That's an API solution that doesn't seem likely any time soon.

Plus, providing a way to specify both simultaneously at an API level wouldn't
be enough to resolve 7107175  .

-phil.