On 28/08/2014 20:36, Phil Race wrote:

* All of the awt-related directories (libawt_* and common) include an
unnecessary extra layer, the "sun" directory. It is not needed anymore,

Let's *not* do that. It also affects the destination package.
Remember sun.* is the protected top-level package .. and
people won't always be running in jigsaw mode.
For native/libXXX then there shouldn't be any need to mirror the java package structure in the native tree now. The shuffle should have done this for most libraries, libawt may be the exception and it would be good to get it consistent if possible.

There isn't a "jigsaw mode", and nothing that I can think of that would have an impact on the source structure.

Plus
I recently learned that compact profiles need to be informed when
you do something like this.
The profiles build shouldn't be concerned with the source layout as it's the equivalent of an images build. So for the native code then it just needs to know which already-built native libraries to include. I suspect your comment may be related to the refactor of the datatransfer API, in which case it was a java package rather than a native libraries that just a temporary break (no big deal, easily fixed).

In time we will replace the profiles build, probably when we move to the modular image as each of the images (JDK, JRE, compact1, compact2, ...) will be just built from a set of modules.

-Alan.