From: Jim Graham
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:07 AM
To: Jayathirth D V; Philip Race
Cc: 2d-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Review Request for JDK-8152672 : Exception while
getting second image properties for JPEG with embedded thumbnail

Thanks for the response Jay, I think I was misreading some of the code as now
that I look back at it, it's mostly written as I was suggesting with respect to
skipping over data sections, however it is still doing some scanning to find
the initial 0xFF.  Some thoughts:

- If we can be sure that we are located at where a tag should be, then
shouldn't we just read a byte and assert that it is 0xFF and report the file as
invalid if it isn't?  The current code will just ignore the byte and continue
reading until it finds a 0xFF, but the fact that the first byte we read isn't
0xFF means we have wandered into data that isn't following the file format (or,
possibly, that this was called from a case where we hadn't completely read a
section of data, but that should be fixed as we could be in the middle of a
section that isn't entropy encoded and our search for 0xFF might have invalid
assumptions).

- The bytes read in the default section to get the length and the tag for the
next block aren't tested for EOF (-1).  This may even get us into an infinite
loop if we hit EOF at the right time (just after a sized block tag) as the size
bytes will read and combine into a -1 size, back up three bytes, and then
reread the same tag and try to compute a length again which will send us back 3
bytes, etc.

- default assumes that all other markers that are created will be sized, but
can we assert that?  Shouldn't we specifically list all known sized markers and
have the default case reject the file as not being of a format that we
recognize?

                        ...jim