1676 IndexOutOfBoundsException |

IndexOutOfBoundsException is a specified exception but as such is thrown outside this try block so I think you should not re-throw it here but should let it be handled by the block below. throw new IIOException("BufferOverflow/OOM while reading" 1683 + " the image"); Whilst that's the issue here I think this message will look quite odd if what we actually had thrown is something like ClassCastException so I think you should leave it to the underlying exception to report the issue. Also I had said to wrap the original exception, so what I expected was throw new IIOException("Caught exception during read: ", e); -phil.