From: Phil Race
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 2:24 AM
To: 2d-dev; swing-...@openjdk.java.net
Subject: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8189809: Large performance regression in Swing
text layout.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8189809/

This partially addresses a slow-down in Swing.

Swing now usually calls Font.getStringBounds() instead of
FontMetrics().stringWidth for text measurement.

The latter has a fast-path for latin-only simple text.

The former does not .. and at a minimum uses GlyphVector.

This fix provides a similar fast path and for direct calls to these methods
(micro benchmarks) that is latin text they are now very similar .. at least for
typical strings.

In this fix as well as making this change in the font code, I updated Swing to
more be a little more efficient.

Before this fix I always saw Swing  coming in with a char[] .. then
constructing a String from it.
Then it passes it to the font measurement code, which then decomposes the
string back into a char[] If Swing directly uses the API that takes a char[]
then we save some overhead.

It does not get back all of the loss by Swing since

1) Swing has other overhead elsewhere - it seems

2) Swing is making 90% of these calls for a single char.
This could be from where Swing naively tries to add up char advances itself to
get a string advance.

     We may have to come back to that later. Perhaps with new public API.

-phil.