So if this is "always zero", for BufferedImage, why aren't we just directly returning zero ?

I'm a bit on the fence about this wondering whether to submit a CSR here,
since a behavioural change is being introduced in order to conform to the spec,
and there is some compatibility issue possible.

-phil.