From: Philip Race <philip.r...@oracle.com>
Sent: Donnerstag, 9. Juli 2020 19:17
To: Baesken, Matthias <matthias.baes...@sap.com>
Cc: Peter Hull <peterhul...@gmail.com>; Jayathirth D v
<jayathirth....@oracle.com>; Langer, Christoph <christoph.lan...@sap.com>;
2d-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR : 8248802: Add log helper methods to
FontUtilities.java

There is no harm in repeating isLogging() inside logWarning() but
I don't think it is sufficient.

What we mean is that in some cases the code looks now like this :-

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mbaesken/webrevs/8248802.0/src/java.desktop/share/classes/sun/font/FileFontStrike.java.udiff.html

-            if (FontUtilities.isLogging()) {

-                FontUtilities.getLogger().warning(

-                        "Failed to render glyph using GDI: code=" + glyphCode

+            FontUtilities.logWarning("Failed to render glyph using GDI: code="
+ glyphCode

                                 + ", fontFamily=" + family + ", style=" + style

                                 + ", size=" + size);

-            }

So all that string concatenation always happens, even if we don't log.

The code before probably wasn't 100% consistent but if updating it
then I suggest to make it 100% consistent to always check isLogging()
before calling logWarning().

I suggest to do it even in cases like this
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mbaesken/webrevs/8248802.0/src/java.desktop/share/classes/sun/font/CMap.java.udiff.html

+                FontUtilities.logWarning("Cmap UVS subtable overflows
buffer.");

where there is no concatenation work happening, just to establish a
consistent pattern.

-phil.